We really enjoyed reading about your favorite 70's songs and then hearing them as we were driving. Congratulations to...
Here's what you'll be receiving in the mail. Wild Turkey BBQ sauce and Kentucky homemade country soap (made especially for the monks of Gethsemani). Sean says "upon its use you will become holy". I just thought it was an ironic combination. Enjoy!
Yesterday was an extra early morning. We were up and on the road at 3:00 am which is maybe why I'm dragging and am so late posting today. We went from Raleigh to Cedar Island where we caught the 7:30 am ferry to the outer banks of North Carolina. We got to see the beautiful sunrise over the water. I can't tell you the last time I saw the sun rise - I'm just not a morning person.
It was really foggy that morning. At one point I noticed something strange looking in the fields. We finally stopped in the road (hey it was really early and no one was on the road) to figure out what it was. They were spider webs!
We finally made it to the ferry and let Duke out to stretch his legs and check out the sand and water while we waited to board.
We got on the ferry, checked out the view, which was only water and decided to head back to the car to nap and watch a movie. The Jeep has this stupid rule that you can only use the DVD player if the emergency break is on. We kept thinking, who in their right mind is going to watch a movie in their car while it's not moving??? Well, now we found a reason to use it - now where can I find a ferry in Texas and Maine that is long enough to watch an entire movie?
Sean pretending he's driving the boat.




Once we got to the outer banks we were ready to break the Jeep in further. They have all these areas where you can take your car out on the beach and drive them around! I have to admit I was scared to drive but Sean talked me into it and it was FUN! We stopped and had a picnic on the beach and let Duke play some ball. We even got to see a lighthouse. On the last run in the sand Sean got us stuck - you had to all see that coming. I don't have any pictures of that part because I was panicked because the tide was coming in and we were in an area we weren't supposed to be (at least that's what we were told even though there were no signs). We deflated the tires even more; apparently you're supposed to deflate them to drive on the sand better. We had deflated them down to 20 psi before we started on the sand but we were told to deflate them more to get unstuck and they ended up down to like 15 psi. A nice man finally came and helped us dig out the tires and then he even did the driving to get us out of it.

Duke got his first taste of the salty ocean water and didn't care for it much!
Duke spent most of the day here (yes, he's under the passenger seat)...
After getting unstuck and airing the tires back up we were ready to continue on our journey - to Virginia Beach to visit a co-worker. They have a beach house on the outer banks so we stopped to see it. Can you imagine having this view???
We finally made it to Virginia Beach and Jean and JD's house. We watched their little boy, Drew, hit some balls in the back yard and let the dogs get acquainted (it took a while). Sean and I headed to dinner on the water with Jean and JD.
We got up this morning and Jean made up waffles - yummy! Look how cute they are - thanks guys for the great hospitality! Can't wait to come back and get to see the inside of the beach house.
talking about the 70's music i think jim and i had a 8 track that played music in our monte carlo... that car was big.. we bought from jim's mom.
ReplyDeletekeep on traveling guys (:
Outer Banks is a place I've been wanting to go! Hilarious that Sean got the Jeep stuck. I thought it was only rented vehicles he had bad luck with.
ReplyDelete