Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Road Trip 2010: Day 6

Yesterday morning we woke up and headed to the final 2 bourbon distilleries...


We had too far to drive to take the tour so we just looked around.  You know the saying "smells like a distillery"?  There's a reason for it.  Driving by each of them you could just smell the fermentation process in action!




I know many of you are thinking (and have told us) "I didn't know there was that much to do in Kentucky!".  Well there is but now it's time to continue east and hit our 6th state...

Our time here was short but fun as our one stop was to...
You read that right - Hillbilly Hot Dog!!!  This place is awesome - you can get any kind of hot dog you want.  You would never think to stop here based on the look of the place but I'm glad we did.  Just look around this place...



Some of the seating is in school buses but we opted for the picnic tables so Duke could join us.  Apparently you can write on anything.
Here we are with our hot dogs - YUM!!!  Sean had to go back for a second one.  The "home wrecker" is some monstrosity that if you eat it under a certain time you get a free t-shirt.  I couldn't talk Sean into trying it - and I'm glad for that!


After we got our tummies full we headed for the New River Gorge Bridge.  It's the largest arch bridge in the northern hemisphere.  You would have never known it was such a neat bridge by driving over it.  After heading down the 178 stairs to the look-out point we had an amazing view.  From the water to the bottom of the highest part of the arch is so far you could fit the Washington Monument and two Statue of Liberties on top of each other.





Most states are divided by a river but West Virginia and Virginia (state #7) are divided by mountains - of which you had to drive directly through.


The rest of the drive consisted of listening to the radio and Sean finishing up his school work.  The Jeep has free Sirius satellite radio for a year and we've really enjoyed it on this trip.  I keep it tuned to the 70's station.  Remember all these great 70's songs?  You Better Shop Around, The Streak, Knock Three Times, Beth...I could go on and on.

Our final destination was North Carolina (state #8) to visit Sean's brother, sister-in-law and nephew.

GIVE AWAY ALERT!

Post your favorite 70's song.  A winner will be chosen at random on Friday morning.

7 comments:

  1. omg...where to start. duke on the turkey was hilarious...i nearly spit my water out when i noticed he had the reins too. the boat on top of the bus...to funny. the bridge, BREATHTAKING! that hot dog place looked super fun!
    fav 70's song...i love a rainy night by eddie rabbitt. i still love hearing that song, always makes me think of the skating rink. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 70's music, still listen to it. The Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd. But if I had to pick just one it would have to be Rod Stewart--Do Ya Think I'm Sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving that bridge. That is absolutely beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilly Billy's was on DDDs! Too many songs to mention....Dancing Queen....Afternoon Delight...Wildfire...Delta Dawn....and my all time favorite.....I AM WOMAN!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first thing song I thought of was Heaven on the 7th Floor. I loved that song and would play it over and over on my little orange record player.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first I thought "wish you were here", for personal reasons, but then have to go with "comfortably numb". Rock on Trahan's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you ship out some of those hotdogs and bourbon?? 70's - was I alive back then? LOL!! I like a lot of those mentioned - Rod Stewart, Lynard Skynard, Abba (Don't tell anyone), Eagles, Rolling Stones... How about Wild Cherry - "Play That Funky Music". That is a good 70s song to get you going!

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!