Monday, May 10, 2010

Road Trip 2010: Day 11

Yesterday was the final day of our trip - BOOO!!!

We woke up in our amazing B&B in Newport, Rhode Island and had breakfast in the dining room.  We then packed up one last time and hopped in the Jeep to do a quick tour of all the mansions on the island.  Here are some of my favorites.




We then crossed over into New Hampshire (state #15) where we went to two different lobster places in Seabrook.  They are literally right across the street from each other.  We went there to do our own taste test to see which had the better lobster roll.  Both places have tons of seating (as long as it's not Sunday and Mother's Day) and amazing views of the water.  First up was Markey's - excellent, lots of big claw meat, not too much sauce.




Next was Brown's - again excellent, lots of big claw meat, not too much sauce and a little bit of seasoning (paprika maybe) that just brought out the lobster flavor.  We picked this one as our favorite by a slim margin.




After getting some Green Monster (we're definitely in New England) ice cream to-go we were back on the road and headed north.  We finally crossed over into Maine (state #16) (you know you're in Maine when there's a lobster painted on something/anything) but had one last stop.  We stopped to see Sean's friends Moe and Chris and their kids.  It was great to visit with Chris' wife and hear the guys talk about old college stories.  I'm always amazed they're all still alive!


Around 9:30 pm we finally pulled in and unloaded the Jeep, of which I made Sean do since it was only 47 degrees.  Amazing how we can have such an amazing trip with great temperatures until we hit Maine.  I sure hope someone turns on the heat up here soon or I may be heading back to Texas (or not but I'll be secretly wishing I was)!

GIVEAWAY ALERT

We had such a great trip we're already talking about driving back to Texas or to Maine next summer.  In honor of driving up again, post a comment with a place (natural wonder, restaurant, store, etc) that you would like to stop at if you took a road trip from Texas to Maine.  I'll choose a winner, at random, Friday morning.  Can't wait to hear where you guys would go!

5 comments:

  1. omg...your killing me with the pictures of the lobster rolls...could you ups one to me please :)
    i want so bad to just drive around and antique through new england...they are always showing all these cool places in magazines and it makes me want to go so bad!!!!! next summer!!! glad you made it safe...we are hunkered down with tornadoes all over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon Kalal (Wichita, Ks)May 10, 2010 at 7:30 PM

    What a fun trip! I would love to do something like that. Me and Bella would love to go to the American Girl store in New York! Glad you made it safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would head straight north and then go east because then I'd hit a lot of states I haven't been to...North & South Dakota, Wisconsin, Michigan. OR, you could stay south for longer and hit up places like Gulf Shores, AL and Savannah, GA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't believe your already home from my end of it (: i don't know if i like lobster but it looks so yummy photo wise!!! i've been praying for a safe trip for you both (: glad you made it (: blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  5. i forgot to tell you what a beautiful b & b need photos of the inside (:

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!