Wednesday, May 12, 2010

9 months and counting

During our road trip we had our 9 month anniversary.  The last three months has still proved to be an adjustment period - but in a good way.  Before we got married I asked Sean to read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman.  He didn't.  He has redeemed himself though since he finished it before our first anniversary.  I read the version for "singles" way back and found it to be a great book.  If you haven't read it, you should.  There's a version for everyone in every phase of their life, from being single to married to parents, etc.

At the end of the book there's a quiz so you can learn what your primary love language is.  During the long car drive we took the quiz.  The results completely explained a lot of the adjusting we've been going through and explained why we got along so well on the trip.

Both of us scored highest on the same language - quality time.  We enjoy being around each other so much!  We spent every single moment of the past week and a half together and never once had a fight or got irritated with each other or anything.  The first time we were apart after the trip is was so strange and we really missed each other.  I've always known quality time was my language which is why I think I enjoy so much family time with my family.  Growing up we didn't have a lot but what we had was each other and the special times we spent together.  I will cherish those memories forever and look forward to making even more memories with them as my family grows.

The order of the rest of the languages was completely different for Sean and me - his highest were my lowest and vice-versa.  It's natural for people to show love the way they want to be shown love.  This was the biggest frustration for me over the last 3 months - I wasn't being shown love the way I wanted to be.  I'm guessing I wasn't showing Sean the way he wanted either.  Now that we've learned each other's primary languages, I've already seen improvement and the frustration from my side has diminished.  I hope Sean feels the same although his highest ones I find very difficult to do - they're just not natural to me.

I always heard the first year of marriage is the hardest.  There's definitely been some adjustment, but so far if this is the hardest part then I can't wait for the rest of my life with Sean.  I'm still in wedded bliss and hope it never ends!
_________________________________________

Don't forget to post where you would like to stop between Texas and Maine here for your chance to win the last prize from the road trip.  You have until Friday morning!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to drive The Crooked Road, Virginia's heritage music trail. Stop at the Floyd Country Store, home of the world famous Fri. night Jamboree or go to a live radio broadcast at the Rex Theater on Grayson St. in Galax. The scenery can't be bad either!

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!