Monday, May 3, 2010

Road Trip 2010: Day 4

We really enjoyed reading your favorite road trip memories.  The first winner (randomly generated) is....


Here's what you'll be getting in the mail - chocolate covered sunflower seeds and a sunflower wheat weaving.  I was also going to throw in the recipe for the items I made for the shower as a bonus but you already have both of them.

Today we began our trek east.  We headed through Columbia, Missouri and St Louis.  We even got to see the arch.  It was created as a momument to western expansion - read more facts here.

After seeing multiple people pulled over on the side of the road to relieve themselves and tons of dead stuff on the road we reached our next destination...

Metropolis, Illinois (4th state) - the official home of Superman.  I'm not kidding - read about it here.











These pictures are from the museum.  They are part of a private collection - we met the man's daughter and got all the scoop.  The pieces we saw are worth an estimated $8-10 million and is only about a quarter of his entire collection.  He also has another collection but of Hollywood memorabilia.  He's been collecting for 50 years and the lunch box (picture above) was his very first item - he got it when he was just five.  We talked the daughter into selling us a triangle piece of Superman fabric so I can make Duke a new bandana.

We continued to head east and south and finally crossed into Kentucky (state #5).

We're both REALLY tired after all the driving today - approximately 10 hours.  Thanks to everyone for their discussion topics.  We determined toothbrush and toothpaste for the Survivor question, kids didn't get much of a discussion, couldn't come to a conclusion on when to head to Key West, money would be spent selfishly, barefoot and vanilla.  We also did a lot of research about various places and random topics as they came up such as "dry" counties and numbering of highways.  I also figured out that we couldn't be more opposite in our Love Languages (except quality time which is why we probably haven't wanted to kill each other yet) so we're both going to have to work really hard at that.

GIVEAWAY ALERT

For today's prize post us your best caption for the picture below.  We'll pick our favorite and they'll be the winner.  We'll pick and announce the winner in tomorrow mornings blog about day five.  Good Luck - it's a fun prize!

4 comments:

  1. "she hasn't reached for my balls of steel like that in years!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one Amy !!!! I can't top that one!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Hey, he is as out of proportion as Barbie! I knew it was too good to be true!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1st - I am not touching that one with a 10 ft pole - and that is not my caption, but I suppose it could be
    2nd - yeah me!! I never win anything. As for the recipes, you should send them to me. When my computer got wiped, I lost all my recipes and so much more:)

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!