Sunday, January 23, 2011

ultimate cooking gadget

I love me some kitchen gadgets and I love me some cooking shows.  I'm a BIG fan of Pampered Chef.  I own nearly all the gadgets they have - well at least at the Texas house.  But I'm slowly changing that.  Unfortunately, we don't have room in Maine for a lot of the fun gadgets I use.  So I have to learn to get by.

My favorite cooking shows are Top Chef and Chopped.  I take my cooking style after my Mom - make stuff up, not my sister.  I guess that's why I like those shows in particular.  I watch them and they give me ideas and sparks my cooking creativity.  I kept hearing them talk about making a dish sous vide but I never knew what it was.  When I saw an email come in for a store that offered a sous vide machine I totally thought it looked like so much fun.  Sean fed my gadget addiction by getting it for me for Christmas.

I tried it out on some friends - to rave reviews!  Sous vide is actually French for "under vacuum".  First you vacuum pack your food and then cook it in a warm water bath.  It allows you to cook food with more flavor and less fat and keeps all the juices in.  I started out easy - made chicken breast.  This is a quote from my one of my dinner guests, "That is the juiciest chicken breast I have ever had".

It has so many uses from meat to veggies to even dessert.  I'm hosting Bunco in February so I'm already planning out what I'm going to cook.  Some things can take up to 2 days to cook this way.  It will also be a good way to make up some dinners for Sean for times I'm out of town that would be easy for him to cook using the sous vide machine.  You can totally vacuum seal the stuff ahead of time and then freeze them.

Oh the possibilities!!!

2 comments:

  1. This thing is weird/interesting!

    You need to add a Raclette grill to your gadgets! A girl came to my New Year's party with one and it was awesome! I'd had raclette before (it's a French thing similar to fondue, but different)...I'd never thought about doing it in your own home though! It would make for really fun dinner parties (but I've heard the raclette cheese can get pricey).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya, is this the same as immersion circulator we always see on Iron Chef?
    My hubs and I are always saying...I wish we knew if anyone normal ever used one of those things!!

    Thanks so much for sharing...hope to see you at LHO soon!

    Cindy

    PS- LOVE the new do!

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!