Thursday, January 20, 2011

a cheap meal

Tonight was Supper Club time again.  Being January, this month's theme was a meal on a budget.  After consulting my mother, I landed on a casserole.  I think the recipe actually was my sisters but I have no idea where she got it from.  Most likely she got it from somewhere as it's not like her to make up a recipe.  She's one of those that has to follow the recipe to a T - I mean, we're talking even down to the brand called for in the recipe!  So sorry for not giving credit where credit is due - if I knew - I would.  But I digress...it ended up being pretty good but I already know a change I would make so this is how I'll make the recipe next time.

Bierocks Casserole
2 lbs ground turkey
1 small head cabbage, shredded
1 small red onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 tsp black pepper
1 container reduced fat crescent rolls
2 cups shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese


Brown the ground turkey and onions.  Stir in the shredded cabbage and steam until tender.  Add the pepper and can of soup.  Spray a 9x13 casserole dish.  Pour the mixture in, top with cheese and unrolled crescents (crescents go on the very top).  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Enjoy!

Since the theme was budget, I calculated how much this recipe cost per serving.  I figure this makes 8 servings and cost about $2 per serving.  That's not too bad by my standards!  What's your cheapest budget "go to" meal?

***************************************************
I'm a little out of sorts these days.  I can't believe I went to Supper Club and didn't even take my camera with me.  You should have seen how cute the kids all looked playing dress up!

1 comment:

  1. What were the changes you made to it?! Making it reduced fat?

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!