Wednesday, January 12, 2011

random london-ness

I found some pictures in the London batch that I thought were interesting.  Some of them are blurry but that's what happens when it's cold out, you're trying to take pictures with gloves on and/or your camera is being temperamental.

food...
Well, the English aren't necessarily known for their food.  As Sean says, "when was the last time you went to an English restaurant?".  It was pretty cold while we were there (low 40's) but I couldn't get over how much outside seating there was at the various restaurants around town.  When I saw the roasted chestnuts on the street I couldn't pass them up.  I know you'll make fun of me but I had never had them before!  All I could do was sing the song the rest of the day - you know the one...  We also tried minced pie - not the meat version - fruit - actually pretty good.


as seen in store windows...
Loved the bling on the gorilla and the puppets bidding on something great at Sotheby's.


as seen at the parade...
You can probably imagine my surprise when I saw the band from Mount Desert Island come through - that's in MAINE y'all!  But I think I was much more surprised by the gurney passing by - IN THE PARADE!


random clock?...
So I don't exactly know how to read it but I thought it was really cool.  All I know is there is a "1" in the middle because it was January 1 - we saw it on our walk home from the fireworks.

as seen on the street...
This is the most unique street act I have ever seen.

as seen on tv...
Europeans are a little more liberal with what they show on TV.  One night I started flipping channels and came across a show.  Sean and I don't agree on what to watch too often so he went to bed - that is until I started dying laughing.  He came out to see what I was cracking up at - and ended up quite enjoying the show.  It was the greatest game show EVER.  Take yourself right on over to YouTube and search for "distraction game show UK" and have yourself a great laugh.  I don't dare tell them to bring it to the US cuz you know we'd just ruin the show.

Last, but not least, because you cannot ride the tube without hearing it over and over and over...

4 comments:

  1. im loving all the london pictures, but that dog street act is totally creepy, but funny at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL the dog act was pretty funny, and the clock, I think it represents the month for the symbols around the clock and the number one in the middle represents the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had chestnuts either!! The street vendors always have them here around the Holidays and I always say I'm going to get some and never do.

    The dog is totally creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Londons the best!!! i take myself off on a train to the city everynow and then on my own, have a wander around some museums, shops basically just to soak everything in.
    That street act's pretty wierd though.... haha
    You were brave coming to the uk, we are having the coldest winter in something like 50 years!
    Blimmin freeeeeeeezing here in January!

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!