We have some friends that are on a 2 year work gig in the UK. The husband used to work at the same place as Sean and I do and, in fact, the very first time I ever went to Maine (way before Sean and I were together, it was probably when he wanted me...actually, no, it was even WAY before that - it was when we didn't like each other at all) my friends and I rented this friend's mother's cabin on the lake next to the one Sean and I live on now. Currently they live in a cute suburb (if that's what they call them) of London.
We started off the evening with a little wine and snacks. Then we headed to a little dinner and off to a local pub. The pub was so quaint with tons of mugs hanging around. They even had a little map so people could find theirs for future visits.
We had a lot of good conversation, good laughs and listened to some locals sing a few tunes. Have a listen...
It went on for quite some time and we tried to join along when we could and knew the song. Sean was so excited when they finally sang one he knew (and no, it wasn't Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd). It was actually more of a poem. It was The Cremation of Sam McGee by Robert W. Service. Check out the Johnny Cash version.
Once we got back, their youngest daughter (who is in middle school and has picked up such a cute British accent in her time in the UK) was still up and proceeded to try to teach Sean how to play the guitar. Try was the key word in that - she was oh so patient with him - much more than I could have ever been - the boy just has no memory or musical talent according to this lesson. I just think he looks so cute playing but my dreams of being married to a rock star are shot! :(
Mitchell's - I'm so glad we finally made it out to see you since your time is limited in the UK. We had such an amazing time with you. Thanks for the great time and great hospitality!
oh dear!
11 years ago

That is great!
ReplyDelete