Friday, September 24, 2010

case closed!

We've had some issues in the past with coming home to our party lights being chewed through.  Sean splices them back together and we move on.  This week was a little different though.  We found piles of party light wire on the ground and chewed up wires hanging from the trees.

After over a year, we finally caught the culprit in the act!

Come to find out he's been chewing out the light bulbs and running off with them.

We have no idea where he's storing them but I'm sure they'll provide him with some much needed nourishment over the cold winter months.  After a ton of time splicing the lights back together, the stupid squirrel actually chewed them again - while they were plugged in - TWICE.  We have now taken them all down.  He won this time, but there's always next year.

*****************************************************
If you have any ideas how to keep the red squirrels from chewing our party lights please leave me a comment.  We're up for trying anything at this point (those were brand new lights this year!).

3 comments:

  1. Who would have thought? Critters surprise me frequently. I have a problem with RATcoons. I hate them! There's a tribe of them that come out of the sewers at night and get into my trash no matter what I do to try and keep them out. I thought I was being smart and put a bungee cord across the lid, but they chewed through it. I gave up and moved the cans to the garage.
    Thank you for visiting my blog and I will include you in the swap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just did a google search for you...turns out it's a pretty common problem! It seems the common cure is hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)! Here's what one website said:

    Take one small bottle of hot pepper sauce.
    Mix in one gallon of water.
    Also, mix in one teaspoon of liquid dishwashing detergent to help the products stay in suspension.
    Spray on plants or anything you would like protected from chewing.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BB guns have always been the squirrel remedy at our house. But, that's Texas for you!

    LOVE seeing the fall colors. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!