Wednesday, August 25, 2010

memories

As with any good marriage you learn a lot of new things from your spouse and learn to love a lot of new things. Sean is such a lover of nature - flowers, trees, birds….you get the picture. In fact he will hold burial services for birds that die from hitting the window and refuses to cut down any trees (even the crap ones we don't want).

Sean has an immense love for lilies. Every time I’m not looking he comes home with or has ordered more lilies to plant. I keep telling him we need to diversify our garden but yet he continues to bring them home. They are definitely beautiful and since he's planted so many different varieties we have lilies blooming almost the whole time we're in Maine. Some even have an amazing aroma.

I'm definitely falling in love with them too (now if I could get him to fall in love with something I like - like my music - and just for once not complain about it). I've asked him "why lilies". It seems his grandmother loved lilies and always had them growing. I imagine they bring back great childhood memories for him.

Speaking of childhood memories, my sister brings back some memories - not sure they're all good memories though but they definitely make me chuckle now looking back. For example, my sister was trying to cook…well…boil oil one day (and we all know how that isn't possible) when it started to smoke or something. She freaked out, ran outside with the skillet and dumped the scalding hot oil all over my newly created snowman. Let's just say I was devastated.

Oh and then there was the time she was making mac-n-cheese and we didn't have milk so she used iced tea. Maybe knowing my baby brother is about to get married and getting to see all my family again is bringing back all these great memories for me. I hope you enjoy all our beautiful lilies as much as we have been. Summer is on the downhill slide as the acorns have already begun to fall so we won't have lilies for much longer - actually we may not have any left now. How sad!!! I didn't mean to depress you all. To make up for it enjoy more lilies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i heart comments!