Flying out of Maine you tend to travel with a lot of inexperienced travelers. Nothing screamed inexperienced more then a group of girls headed to some event. It was funny to listen to one of the chaperons sit and tell the kids all the different rules to follow and why you had to do certain things. It made me realize just how intimidating it must be to travel when you don't do it on a regular basis. I have friends and family call me when they're headed on a trip to get the down low. If you ask me they have completely over regulated everything due to a handful of stupid people's actions.
On a recent trip I sat next to a pilot and we talked the whole trip (which is very unusual for me - I'm the one that usually doesn't even tell you "hi" as you sit next to me). I asked him about the electronics rule and liquids and all the training they go through. It was really neat to get an inside perspective on it all. After talking to him and taking my own experience into account I have figured out a couple of things:
- There are too many rules to remember.
- These said rules change on a daily basis and are different depending on what airport you're at.
- Airlines try to get you to abide by rules by saying they're FAA or TSA rules. Funny how they're not consistent from airline to airline.
- These rules are discriminatory toward women - one quart size bag of liquids and only 2 carry-on bags?
- You're only allowed 2 carry-on bags - or are you? I saw a woman on Delta last week with four.
- TSA doesn't even know all the rules and doesn't apply them consistently.
- Unless I'm mistaken LGA is technically in Queens (Flushing, NY) and not Long Island (that's for the chaperon with all the info).
- Whether you agree with the rules, they are rules, and you should follow them.
- On American, roller boards go wheels first on the DEF side.
- Quit being greedy (especially you exit row and first class people) and put your smaller bag under the seat in front of you.
- Just listen to the flight attendants - they tell you all these rules a million times.
- Sean may just be right - TSA=Thousands Standing Around. Seriously, can't I push the bins through the machine myself?

Well, well, finally, you all saw it, "Sean may be right", I didn't even have to write it. I have to certainly agree with the many points that Tonya points out. I believe that there should be a distinction between those that travel frequently and the "rookies" that tend to really annoy those of us that know what we are doing. In all reality, it is a notion of knowing the system, those of you that live in major cities, ie Dallas, New York, you are spoiled. Living in Maine and having to play the "connection shuffle" is an art more than anything else. When flying to a desolate place like Bangor Maine. You have to watch the following..
ReplyDeleteWeather patterns... Understand that weather goes west to east, and if you look at the weather earlier in the day know that it will be futher east as you are making your way home. Plan ahead. If you see your connection is going to be crap, then redo the entire flight early..
Know the flight schedules.. With the limited flights out of Bangor you have to memorize them, and know when they are, so when you do need to alter things know your options.
Be calm and take into account all variables, when things start to go in the crapper and things start to fall apart, don't panic. The goal is to get as close to your destination as possible, all while being nice to the person in charge, the person at the computer that knows the secret codes to get you a ticket.
And remember, you can come visit us anytime in Maine, Tax Free!! :)