Sunday, June 27, 2010

road trip wrap-up

So we've now been in Maine for over a month. If you missed any of the road trip go back to the archives for May and read all about the fun we had. I did a little calculation and determined:

We travelled a total of 3,469 miles.
Took 11 days.
That averages nearly 315 miles a day.
If you figure an average of 60 mph
that's around 5 hours of driving a day.
WOW!!!
and that doesn't include the time we were on the ferries.

Here are some overall observations we had.
  • It's very difficult to travel with a pet, even in these days where the pet industry is a how many billion dollar a year industry, when you don't have great friends that open their home to you.
  • If you're nice to people they tend to be nice back and may even bend the rules for you.
  • The more air you take out of your tires, the better traction you get - in the sand.
  • There is A LOT to see in Kentucky - who knew???
  • The more you pay to drive on a road, the worse the road is to drive on.
  • The only state with crazy drivers - New Jersey!
  • B&B is the way to go!
  • Apparently every road construction project is funded by taxpayer dollars and an Obama stimulus package.
  • Most states are divided by a bridge - it make it easy to determine when it was time to get the camera out for an attempt at a picture of the "welcome" sign.
  • Garmin is the best invention EVER!
I want to give a shout-out to all the great sources of information:
  • the Internet
  • "501 must-visit natural wonders" by Bounty Books (a great book I got from my Mom for my birthday)
  • The Travel Channel
  • Sean's brother
I also want to thank all the people that opened up their homes along the way to so graciously take us in:
  • Mom
  • Derek, Ashley and Maddy
  • Shane, Trish and Aiden
  • Jean, JD and Drew
I took so many great pictures they couldn't all possibly make it into the original blogs. Here's your warning that a ton of pictures follow.

"But I missed you oh so much Daddy!!!"


Look at all the beggars.




Enjoying the top off the Jeep.

Enjoying a nap with the top off the Jeep.


For Tamara - "Diners, Dive-Ins & Dives was here".




How absolutely sweet!

Airing the tires back up.


 

 

 

Captain Duke.
 

 

 

 

Loved, loved, loved the deep purple of this lilac!
 

 

"I know there's a treat in there.  I can smell it.  Let me at it!!!"
 

He knew he didn't get to go with us to dinner so he assumed the position for while we were gone.
 

Sean making friends with the pirate.
 

 

This one was the attacker - if I remember right it was around 5 pounds.
 

Baby Isla - such a cutie but such a mover and a shaker.  This was the least blurry picture I got of her.
 

I thought this was hilarious of all the college buddies with the baby.
 

1 comment:

  1. Loved seeing more pictures of your trip but hand that camera over to Sean and let him take some of you!!!

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!