Monday, December 20, 2010

a cold night in dc

There are two cities in the northeast that I would live in a heartbeat if they weren't so dang cold in the winter - Boston and DC.  I love it when work takes me to both of these cities.  It's much nice to go in the summer when the daylight is longer and it's warmer out but that doesn't always happen.  So after some coaxing I convinced some work peeps to join me for a tour of some of the monuments in DC after dinner.

There's so much history in this city!

I love all the marble there is on the buildings and the city just has a clean feeling to it.  The White House was all decked out for the holidays.  We were a couple of days early for the national tree lighting but got to see it in the dark.


We stopped off to see the Washington Monument flying all the flags at half mast in memory of Pearl Harbor...

had a chat with Lincoln (if you haven't read Lincoln on Leadership you should - Sean totally made me - really interesting - in a nerdy kind of way)...

found our states at the WWII Memorial...

and reflected on the beauty that is Washington DC.

We also took advantage of some photo ops...

...in which we may or may not have gotten in trouble by a rent-a-cop while taking.

After a walk home, the long way (aka a Tonya shortcut), we arrived back at our hotel where it took me the rest of the night to thaw out (under all the covers, heater cranked).  What's your favorite thing about DC?

2 comments:

  1. I don't have a favorite thing about DC yet because I haven't been. I know, I know, that's a terrible shame...but this comes from someone who hates flying. :( It IS on my list to do ASAP, though, because my sister-in-law actually lives and works there, now.

    These are great photos, and once again, it looks like you were surrounded by a bunch of good friends! What do you do for a living that requires you to travel as often as you do?

    P.S. Thanks for your sweet email... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! I can't believe you actually read that book!!! You didn't tell me so proud of you! :) Nerdy book I know but it is a good read and fairly quick!

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!