Sunday, March 6, 2011

celebrating a life

We recently had a death in the family.  Sean's cousin in Florida passed away.  I only met her once, at the wedding, but Sean always spoke so highly of her I felt like I knew her.
she's in the red skirt - at our wedding

So we headed to St Augustine for the service.  The service was a celebration of her life based on the experiences from the people there from all aspects of her life.  I loved hearing all the stories of how she touched their lives.  She was cremated - I had never been to a funeral service of someone that was cremated.  The service was so nice and ended with a reception at a local favorite of hers.

It was then and there I decided this is how I want my service to go too.  I don't want people to remember me from what they see at my funeral - I want them to remember me in their mind and all the great times we had together.  I also want them to share those great times with each other and laugh together and listen to Prince!

We will miss you greatly, Gail, and I'm sad I didn't get to know you better!  Thank you for touching Sean's life.  I'm so glad I was able to be there with him to help celebrate your life.

Celebrate life today!!!

*******************************************
Sean's brother was there too.  They're identical twins - creepy!  You can definitely tell them apart now but they do so many things the same I sometimes have to do a double-take.  Their driving is one of those except that Sean is overly caution and his brother - a speed demon!  We're talking SCARY!  This sign just seems appropriate.

*******************************************
Most people want uneventful flights - I sometimes wish for something fun to happen.  They key word here is fun.  I was finally not disappointed by this on the flight home from Florida.  We had a super early flight.  A couple of guys got on the plane that pretty much had been out partying all night and just showed up at the airport.  They were so loud and cursing not caring who heard them.

I was so worn out that I just prayed they would crash and I wouldn't have to hear them the whole flight and I could get some sleep.  Little did I know the loud cursing would be better than the alternative - SNORE MOSTER (the video just does not do it justice)!

There were people at least 10 rows away turning and looking for what the noise was all about.  I really felt sorry for him and wanted to tell him he needs to see a doctor as he stops breathing but he never even woke up when we landed!  Lucky for me the flight attendant brought me some ear plugs and I finally got to sleep.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tonya,

    I'm so sorry for the loss of Sean's cousin; the service sounds like it was beautiful...I completely agree that a service should be a celebration of the loved one's life. How comforting it must be for family members to leave feeling peaceful!

    That video of the passenger on the plane...it makes me so sad for him! It looks like he is totally struggling to breathe! :(

    Have a wonderful week!

    xo
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tonya,
    Was glad to have met you at Gail's service, sorry for the circumstances. Hope you and Sean can get back to go sailing at some point. Now that things are starting to settle down and beginning to get back to normal. Well as Sean will tell you normal for me is a relative term. Again nice to have finally met you, say hello to Sean for me.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay - I love the driving sign - I would of bought it because it makes be laugh better yet, I love to put it in my stepdaughter's car!

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!