Monday, February 21, 2011

best picture show 2011

Remember my day of movies last year?  Well, it's that time of year again - the Oscars are just around the corner so we headed to our local AMC for the first five movies up for best picture.  This year I was actually able to get Sean to join us!
aren't those some sexy glasses?!?!

This is my personal take on the first five movies (in the order we saw them) and whether I liked them or not.  The movie name is a link to the movie website if you want to learn more about the movie.

  • Toy Story 3 - Andy is heading off to college and Woody and the gang get donated to a day care.  The movie centers around their shenanigans at the day care and trying to get back to Andy.  Whether you have kids or not you should see this movie.  I just can't get over how clever it was.  I think the Toy Story series just keeps getting better.  Oh, and it was in 3-D!!!
  • 127 Hours - This is a true story of a guy that goes cave exploring without telling anyone where he's going and ends up in an accident, getting his arm stuck between the rock and a boulder.  That all happens before the opening credits.  The rest of the movie recounts his thought process and survival. It was interestingly filmed and VERY graphic - glad I saw it - even if it was through my blanket for part of it.
  • The Kids Are All Right - This was about a lesbian couple that had children from a sperm donor.  When the children are old enough they want to meet their "father".  I couldn't wait for this one to be over.  B-O-R-I-N-G!!!  Not sure why it's up for best picture.  Because of this movie we almost lost Sean for the rest of the day.
  • True Grit - This was the story of a 14 year old girl whose father was shot by an outlaw.  To avenge her father's death she enlists the help of a drunk U.S. Marshall to hunt down the killer.  I loved, loved, loved this movie!!!  Go see it!  I don't like westerns but somehow this was different.
  • The Fighter - This was about two boxing brothers and their journey in the boxing world.  A little boring and predictable.  It was alright but not my favorite.
After Sean having been gone for 3 months it was so great to just sit and hold his hand for an entire day!  As usual, it was a great time with my friends, making funny comments about the movie, sharing snacks and having dinner together.

Can't wait for the next 5 - even though I've already seen 2 of them.

1 comment:

i heart comments!