Friday, October 2, 2009

Experimenting with Apples - Take 3

"Pork chops and applesauce." So who said apples were only for dessert? It was time to try something that wasn't a dessert with the apples. I found a recipe in the new Pampered Chef "29 minutes to dinner" cookbook we got as a wedding gift. I changed the recipe some though because I wanted to make pork chops and use the honey we got instead of chicken and apple jelly as the recipe called for. Here's how I made it.

Glazed Pork Chops with Apple Salad
Dressing and Apple Salad
2 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp honey
1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 fresh picked McIntosh apples
1/2 cup lightly packed watercress (I think I used pea shoots?)
Lemon juice

Pork Chops and Glaze
4 boneless pork chops
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp prepared stone-ground mustard
1tbsp brown sugar

Cut the apples into matchsticks and sprinkle with enough lemon juice to keep the apples from browning. Mix with the watercress. Mix the other ingredients together and set both aside.

Spread the olive oil on the pork chops and salt and pepper to taste. While the pork chops cook mix the honey, mustard and brown sugar together. Right before the pork chops are done baste with the mixture on both sides.

To plate, place the apple mixture on the plate and sprinkle with the dressing. Place one of the pork chops on top and ENJOY!

I have to say that as I was preparing it I wasn't so sure I would like this dish but as I was eating it - it was actually really good! The only thing that was missing was Sean to enjoy it with me (and clean up my cooking mess).

In case you're still trying to place the quote from the beginning of the post maybe this will help.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

i heart comments!