Thursday, October 22, 2009

Making the move to Texas

Another term that's been brought to my attention since hanging out with Sean is "snowbird". Snowbirds are usually retired people that spend the winter months in warmer climates. With Sean being from Maine and I'm from Texas we decided that after we got married we would keep both houses. Seeing how I'm not too fond of the cold and Sean's not fond of the Texas heat we decided to live in Maine in the summer and Texas in the winter. With just having gotten married, this is the first time we're making the move.

Sean has season tickets to the New England Patriots so we decided to work in a game into us heading south. So we packed up all the things we needed to take to Texas with us (well almost all the things we needed to take - we ran out of room so we'll grab the rest when we go visit Sean's family for the holidays) and jumped in the rental and headed to Boston.

Our first stop was Big G's in Winslow, Maine. This is a favorite stop for us to grab lunch. They have some really fun sandwiches there. I like the Peter Cottontail. It has ham, turkey, muenster, stuffing and pineapple. We usually sit outside and eat so Duke doesn't have to wait in the car but it was a little chilly that day so we ate inside. If you make it up to Maine you need to stop by this joint. A little hint though, only order a half - and share the half. Here's a link to the deli - http://big-g-s-deli.com/ .

Our next stop was Freeport, ME. Sean keeps telling me about Freeport and all the shopping there is to do there. Living in Dallas you get spoiled when it comes to shopping and how you can get ANYTHING you could ever want or need (or don't need). I have not gotten that same feeling in Maine. Well JACKPOT - I found it and it was in Freeport all this time. I think Sean purposely kept this from me. We didn't have time to do much shopping but walked Duke around and looked for something warm to wear to the game. We ended up finding some gloves and hats on sale - BONUS!

We went into the LL Bean store too. Well, Sean went in. Even though they specialize in outdoor stuff the were not pet friendly. There were so many people walking around with their pets too. Here's Duke on the giant boot outside the store.

We stayed with some of Sean's friends (Brian and Stephanie) outside of Boston. I was a little nervous because they have two young boys and Duke's not a big fan of children that age, they move fast and aren't very gentle typically. Brian's parents stayed with the kids while we went to the football game. This really made me nervous but all my fears were alleviated rather quickly when the sitters arrived. Duke settled right in and so did the kids. They were scared of Duke before their Grandma arrived. Here's Duke with the sitter and the kids.
We left early enough for the game so we could do a little tailgating. We had a feeling what we were getting ourselves into since it had been raining all day and had been cold. The rain was light enough when we first got there so the boys could set up the tents and such. Once they finished the rain really picked up. Here's one of the boys digging a trench to try to keep our area from flooding.
While we were enjoying our lunch the rain turned to snow - yes I said snow. Before we finished putting on all our layers to head into the stadium I had to get in the car and warm back up. Here's a look at Sean and Brian through the back of the car.
Sean's tickets are in the very last row of the stadium. Typically you wouldn't think of those seats as being any good but I really like them. Here's Sean in our seats all bundled up.
You can really see the snow coming down in this one.
Here's Brian, Stephanie, Sean and me in all our gear to try to stay warm. Some of the other guys that have seats in the same area were laughing that "Sean's wife from Texas" was at this game.
The game was a blowout. Once halftime hit a ton of people left. We took this as an opportunity to see what it was like to watch the game from a lot closer. Here's Sean from our new seats.
To give you an idea of the damage that was done from a scoring perspective.....
Again you can see the snow coming down but you can also see just how far that last row is up there.
Here's some game action from up close.
We ended up leaving at the end of the 3rd quarter. We had all had enough of the cold and there really was no game. I have to say that all in all it really wasn't that bad. It was cold but not unbearable. The worst part was the walk back to the car because it was sleeting and the wind was blowing pretty hard and it hurt your face.
The next morning we got up really early and headed to the airport. Sean ended up having to go to New York for work so I was making the official journey back to Texas alone. This was very difficult due to the amount of stuff we were dragging around with us. To give you an idea - I had a large, medium and small suitcase, my computer bag, purse and Duke. Sean had a medium and small suitcase, his computer bag and a backpack. Every checked bag we had was overweight but due to Sean's status they didn't charge us. Boy were we happy for that!!! Here's a picture of all the stuff I was bringing back. The medium suitcase ended up in the trash - it's seen it's last trip.
I had my mail forwarded for the time I was in Maine, however the USPS continued to deliver all the junk I didn't want. This is what 5 months of junk mail looks like. It took me over an hour to go through it all.
On top of all the suitcases we brought back, we shipped a lot of boxes to my friend Tamara's house. Here's all the boxes we shipped. A lot of it was wedding gifts that go to the Texas house and Sean moving into the Texas house.
I have unpacked all the suitcases and boxes so far. We ended up with 2 broken bowls, a broken Chi flat iron and a cut sweater of Sean's. It was wrapping one of the bowls that broke. I think that's not too bad a record considering what all was in those boxes and suitcases. Now I'm just waiting for Sean to get here so I can unpack the suitcases he's been dragging around the country. So now you have an idea of what it takes to be a snowbird. I'm hoping this gets easier and easier as we get things situated and in the house we want them in.

1 comment:

  1. oh no, a broken chi....say it isn't so :)
    duke on the boot is hilarious...i didn't even notice him in the picture, til you pointed it out!
    is that the brian that was sean's best man? i guess i thought he lived in bangor. i am going through major canton withdawls by the way...maybe the first one in december? does that work for you. i think it's dec 4-6th. later.

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!