Wednesday, September 30, 2009

93 years and counting

Today is a very special day! It's the end of my birthday month (Sean's doing a happy dance now). But that's not what really makes today special. It's Gram's 93rd birthday. Sean and I don't have many Grandparents left so it's a very exciting time when we get to celebrate another birthday with one of them. While we were visiting her for the big day all I could think about was everything she's seen in her life. I can't imagine living that many years and all the changes that will happen by the time I turn 93 (should I luck out and make it that long). I can't believe all the changes that have already happened in my measly 36 years.

So as soon as I got home I set out on a google search to see if I could find out any information about life in 1916. Here's some facts I found interesting that compares 1916 to 1973 (the year I was born) and 2008 (the most recent year I found the same info for).




*I had to look up 2008 each individually so apologies if it's off a little.

I don't personally care about the World Series, but when I saw the Red Sox won the year Sean's Gram was born I just had to add it. There was a couple of other items I found interesting that couldn't really be written in a grid so here goes. These are all from 1916.
  • Montana voted in the first woman to serve in the US Congress.
  • The first birth control clinic opened.
  • The Olympics and Wimbledon were not held due to World War I (I'm sure there were other things too).
  • Charlie Chaplin signed on with Mutual Studios and earns an unprecedented $10,000 a week.
  • Albert Einstein completes his mathematical formulation of a general theory of relativity, which includes gravity.
Trying to get a picture of Duke and Gram was difficult - neither would sit still or not blink.
Duke looks like he's trying to escape and Gram is trying to hold him down or choke him.
Then Gram was having to talk to all her birthday wishes callers.
Then Duke had to give Gram birthday kisses. She tried to escape but I don't think she was fast enough.

Even though she was still on the phone, I finally got a good one! HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRAM!!!

BTW - If you want to find out about your own year here's where I found most of my information.

I hope you've enjoyed this exploration of the past with me in honor of Gram's 93rd birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i heart comments!