There are many benefits to living essentially in the woods. In my previous post I've already informed you of the importance of my husband's kids around the property. Sometimes, however, we lose a kid or two. Well, this summer we actually lost three of his kids - 2 feathered friends and one four legged friend.
We tend to have issues with birds flying into the windows. Usually they're just stunned and we just keep Duke inside for a while until they come to and fly away again. Once in a great while they don't quite make it. That's what happened, twice, this summer. As you can see in this picture we have quite a few windows. The birds see the reflection of the trees in the window and well, you know. I've read some ideas on how to reduce this but it requires ruining the absolutely amazing view we have. If anyone has any ideas that wouldn't ruin the view please let me know!
Our poor friend. At this point we thought he was just stunned.
When we went back a few hours later and he still hadn't moved Sean started to dig him a grave.
After a short ceremony and nice words the grave was covered.
With the headstone in place, the ceremony was over. Apparently one of the guests had a drink in honor of the loss.
The four legged friend we had to say good-bye to was a chipmunk. Although we're not exactly sure of the circumstances that lead to the demise of this cute friend, we do know Duke had at least something to do with it. We were outside playing and I didn't hear Duke for a while so I started calling for him. I could finally hear his tags so I headed to where he was. I could see he had something pinned down. I called (OK I screamed) for Sean to get over there because I had no idea what it was. We thought, at first, that it was only stunned too. When it didn't recover we had a ceremony for it. Sean was SO mad at Duke and he made sure Duke knew it. Don't worry - he only yelled at him. Sean couldn't hurt a flea! I felt sorry for Duke though and told Sean it was his fault because he always tells Duke to chase the squirrels and chipmunks! The little guy had a front row seat for the wedding though, in the flower bed. As you can see below, he has a much fancier headstone then the bird got. I think it's because Sean loves the chipmunks more than the birds.
Hopefully we won't have to have any more funerals any time soon!
oh dear!
11 years ago

first off, i have no sympathy for blue jays...they are so mean!! trust me, i been pecked in the head by one for absolutely no reason!!! and your right, sean shouldn't be mad at duke for chasing something he told him too.
ReplyDeletei remember craigs parents had the same problem with birds flying into their windows and they did something, i will try and find out what it was.
poor chippy....circle of life.