today is duke's birthday!!!
or so i made up
because i don't actually know his birthday
but either way - he's 8 years old now
duke didn't have the best start
but as sean tells him all the time, he doesn't know just how good he has it now
back in 2003 i knew i was ready to take the responsibility leap
so i asked my friend that worked at a vet to be on the lookout
the phone call came
some cuties had been confiscated by an animal control officer from a puppy mill
a boy and a girl - the girl was already spoken for - but not the boy
he had tape worms and fleas and was weaned too early
but he was so teeny-tiny and timid
and as another friend put it "you know he's coming home with you..."
and that he did!
and my life hasn't been the same since - in a good way
he's quite the traveler - we often say he's been to more states than most people
we've lost count now
he's even been outside the country now
his favorite things are:
car rides
playing ball
and napping
his greatest memory to date is the day he helped Sean ask his mommy to marry him
he's officially his daddy now - he got adopted when we got married
he was even a part of our big day - yes, we're those kind of people
and now we're off for a birthday treat - can you guess what it is...
happy birthday dukie! here's to many, many, many more years!
oh dear!
11 years ago










This is always the kind of dog I imagined I would have. So I'm not really sure how I ended up with a ginormous monster dog. I think Duke is smaller than her tail.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to Duke!
ReplyDeleteWe just adopted two terrier mixed pups from our local shelter. They are from different litters but were "room mates" and weigh 10 and 11 lbs. Duke looks much smaller than that.
May I ask what breed he is? So cute!!!!
marlu
Duker my man... Happy Birthday!
ReplyDeleteLove, Auntie Cim