Sunday, November 7, 2010

getting grounded

Since we've only been married a year, we've only been through one cycle of this snowbird thing.   There are still several things I'm having a hard time finding comparable in Maine to Texas.

For example, a good eyebrow lady.  My lady in Texas ROCKS - and is only $10.  I spent all summer doing my own eyebrows.  I've totally already been to get them done by her since being back.  She said I did a good job taking care of them, though.

Another example, a pedicure place that doesn't cost $100.  I've tried out a couple of places in Maine but they're at least twice as much as Texas and you don't get as much.  Again, I resorted to doing my own - not a fan!  Problem is, I LOVE, LOVE pedicures but only get them in the summer.  What's the point if you can't wear cute open-toe shoes?  Gotta give the little piggers a rest, ya know.

The benefit to both of these is that we save money.   I think I'd rather keep the pampering! :)

The other thing I'm having a REALLY tough time finding is a church.  I LOVE, LOVE my church in Texas.  The pastor is amazing and I just love going.  Going each week reminds me that things aren't as tough as I think they are.   It keeps me grounded and reminds me to have a good attitude and what we're really here for.  We have tried several churches in Maine and none of them compare.   I think I lost Sean on the quest when we attended the church that showed the video at the end with the lightening and everyone disappearing.  Even though I believe in the 2nd coming, this turned me off, too.

So, instead, I need to start to find God in the everyday things in Maine.  The whole state is so beautiful and there is so much of God's work surrounding me every day while I'm up there.   I need to get better at making my own time to just reflect on Him and just read the Bible.

I've always loved seeing the sun rays come through the clouds. To me, it makes me think it's God shining through.


How do you connect with God outside of attending church?

3 comments:

  1. I think prayer is key. Pray throughout your day. Everytime you think about something or someone, turn it into a prayer. Everytime you're struck by the beautiful nature in Maine, praise God for His creation and thank Him for giving you the opportunity to experience it. Pray that you would have an increasing desire to know God and seek Him. Pray that your knowledge and wisdom would grow. Pray that His presence would be felt. Pray that the Holy Spirit would guide you through your day and that you would be obedient to His leading.

    I think it's very possible to experience God in powerful ways on your own and outside of church. But, I also know from personal experience that when I am surrounded by people who are spending time in prayer and in scripture, I am more likely to be spurred to do the same. It is just encouraging to see other people who are experiencing joy and life transformation from the time they spend with God and I find it can be contagious. I am less likely to do it on my own when I am not experiencing community with other believers. So, I encourage you to not give up on the church hunt and to also pray that God would lead you to something that is perfect for both you and Sean. On that note, I tried to see if there are any churches connected to mine up there, but there are not. But, through a quick google search found this one.... http://bangor.rockmaine.com/ Have you heard of it or tried it? It sounds pretty good online, but I've learned that it's very hard to tell from a website, so who knows. The Northeast is a difficult place to find good churches, but don't give up they do exist!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just living day to day and being thankful for your family and friends,
    and thanking the Lord for these blessings. And as susan said in her comment the beauty around us is all of his doings! i pray you guys do find a church in you area i will be praying for you both. blessings, linda lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. finding a group of people to do a bible study with. I've done one's with other couples from church and women's only as well. Brian and I have grown so much doing studies together. For me, when I am studying and exploring God with others I'm more likely to commit to reading the bible regularly. They hold me accountable. I agree with the others that there is so much beauty that He provides us in our everyday surroundings and in the little blessings we often overlook. Taking time to reflect on all that we have been given or that he's protected us from, helps me to connect with him too. With all this world has to offer its so easy to get distracted from what's really important.

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!