Tuesday, February 9, 2010

House Plants

So my niece texted me (cuz she can't seem to pick up the phone and actually call - teenagers today - don't get me started) and asked me to email her pictures of house plants.  Apparently it's for a school project.  I LOVE house plants.  I have a really hard time going anywhere that has plants and not pick up a new one.  Since we will only live in the south half of the year I have to be careful how many plants I accumulate since I have to find someone to take care of them while we're gone.  Thanks Elizabeth for taking care of them this past summer!

Since I had to take the pictures anyway I thought I'd share my house plants with you all.  This is a vine I have propogated over and over.
This is a peace lilly I've split from a larger plant.  I'm trying to get it to grow bigger.  I think watering it more helps.
This one I inherited from my sister.  She got it from her mother-in-laws house.  When we got it, it was in VERY poor shape.  I don't think it had been watered in years - literally.
I think I may have gotten this one from my Grandmothers funeral.  It actually is blooming right now.
This one Tamara or Elizabeth game me as a piece off one of their plants.  I can't seem to get it to fill in but again I think it's due to lack of water.
Another peace lilly.
This one is technically not a house plant but since it's winter it's inside.  It's a Sago Palm - I acquired it in an unusual way - found it on the side of the road.  It's a pair but the other one didn't make it.
This one has seen better days because it was left at the house instead of making the treck to Elizabeth's house.  While she was in Maine for the wedding it was a little neglected and we've been nursing it back ever since.  It looks much better then it did.  This is actually a peace lilly and has really big flowers when it blooms.
Again, more of the vine.  It's time for it to get a hair cut.
I love this one (cardboard palm) but based on where it's placed in the house we seem to have forgotten about it so now we'll be nursing it back to health too.
More vine - btw - I've had the original vine this came from since I was in college.
Christmas cactus - I can't seem to get it to bloom but Elizabeth was able to as it was full of blooms when I got it back.
I acquired both of these at different times.  I think they look better in the same pot.
I got this one at Home Depot.  I just thought it was cool.
This one started off as a little piece from a plant Elizabeth has.  It's come a long way.
This one came in a basket from all my Texas friends when my Grandmother passed away.  It's outgrown it's basket and now resides in this new pot.  It's actually a couple of different plants together.
This one is called Mother-in-Law's tongue.  I didn't give it that name.  I've split this one several times and given parts away to other people.
I got this one in Canton.  She said it's won a ton of different awards.  I don't remember what it was called but essentially it can survive anything.
I got this one in Canton too.  It's called a rattlesnake, if I remember right.  The pot has seen better days so it's probably about time to find a new home for it.
More peace lilly.
I've had this one for a long time too but I don't remember where I got it.  If it wasn't still green I would throw it away as it's a strange one to grow - again probably a water issue.
So I hope you've enjoying checking out my plants as much as I enjoy looking at them.  They just make the house feel so cozy and lived in.

3 comments:

  1. where is the one that tries to kill me very time i get near it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy - You'll be happy to know it didn't make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have a green house girl!!! now i know why amy has so many plants also but you have her beat!!

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!