Sunday, November 1, 2009

Three months and counting

As of today Sean and I have been married three months. It's definitely taken some adjustment to living with someone. I've learned a lot about both of us in this time. We're both older then when most people get married - we're in our 30's. I think this has had both good and bad points. I personally don't think either of us were ready to get married prior to now. I think we both had a lot of "being single" to get out of us. This gave us each time to concentrate on our careers and become well established at work. We also both purchased houses. On the bad side, getting married late gave us both a chance to get set in our ways. We have both done things the way we have for so long and they don't always jive with the other. Here are some of the things I've noticed.
  • First, the trivial - Sean insists on leaving the toilet seat up. It's not that I have a problem with putting it down myself but I've always been psycho about not wanting to look in the toilet. I mean seriously, why would they invent a toilet seat cover if it's not to be used? It's not that he just doesn't put down the cover, he doesn't put any of it down. He's the one that needs it up, he should be the one to put it down. Any ideas on how to get him to put them both down after he finishes?
  • Sleeping - I am a very sound sleeper and have never had any issue falling asleep and staying asleep late into the morning. Sean on the other had has issues sleeping. If he wakes up, he's up and he squirms. I thought I could sleep through anything but not through this. He is also a morning person - I am not. I enjoy sleeping in. He thinks it's a waste of the day. Between his squirming and getting up early I have been tired since the day we got married. I figure this will just take some getting used to and then I'll be able to sleep through it.
  • Laundry - I always felt overwhelmed by the amount of "stuff" to do when I was single and always thought married people had it so good because they could share all the work. I've actually found that to not be the case. I feel like I have even more work to do now that I'm married. There's twice as much laundry. When I was single I could get away with just doing laundry every 2-3 weeks. Sean doesn't have as many clothes so he was wanting me to do laundry every week. I wouldn't let him do the laundry because I'm particular about how it's done. I think we've finally come to a compromise. I do laundry every other week and if he needs something before then he does it himself.
  • Dinner - When I was single, I would just have a salad and be fine with it. I tried to make salad for dinner for Sean once and he threw a hissy fit. Because of this it has added extra work for me as I have to determine what we're going to eat for the week, make the grocery list, get the groceries and then cook the meal. So far Sean has always gone with me to the grocery store and he does do the dishes after dinner. I really hate doing dishes! Problem is when you count the amount of time, this really takes way more time on my part then his.
  • Cleaning - Luckily this is one area we already agreed upon before getting married. We hire someone for this.
  • The little things - I always thought "oh not Sean, he will always be the sweet, thoughtful guy whether we're married or he's trying to court me". I was wrong. Sometimes it seems like he forgets the little things now that we're married, and I enjoy the little things. For example, when we were courting he was writing me a story and when he finished a chapter he would read it to me. He hasn't written a chapter in who knows how long.
  • My Birthday - For those of you that know me you know I really enjoy my birthday. Many of my friends joke that I have a birthday month. With Sean, I tried to make it easy on him. I gave him specific things I wanted to do or wanted for my birthday (which I NEVER do). I didn't get a single one of them. On my actual birthday I wanted to go on a picnic lunch. I wanted him to write me a new chapter to the story. We also used to sit and we had a box of questions that we would pick one and answer and stuff. I told him I wanted to do this. I didn't get any of these, not even a card. Don't get me wrong we did a lot of stuff during my birthday month; we went on a wine tasting dinner, went to the Red Sox game and Patriots game. I enjoyed all of it and look forward to him making it up to me next year!
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give up being married to Sean for anything. He's an amazing husband but there's definitely an adjustment happening. I look forward to the next 3 months!

2 comments:

  1. oh Tonya....I see you are training Sean for marriage, I have 43yrs under my belt and I'm still training
    so be patient you might have to tell him several times on your wants or write him notes.. that helps!!(:
    So go girl and best of luck.
    love, linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man...where do i start? good luck with all of the above. :) i one day just stopped doing craigs laundry and now he has done it himself for years, and we never had the toilet seat issue...i think marilyn & shelli had broke him of that one :)...fyi, men will NEVER think a salad is a real meal!!!!!! lol. luv ya!!!

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!