Sunday, November 15, 2009

Am I getting old?

Having spent the summer in Maine I feel out of it when it comes to music. When we're up there we have to listen to Sean's music most of the time and it doesn't take any time at all to get anywhere. Here in Dallas it takes 30 minutes to get anywhere, which gives you plenty of time to listen to some music. On the down side, you seem to hear the same 5 songs each 30 minutes you're driving around.

Now that I'm back in Dallas I can't seem to find a station I can stand listening to. Music is just not doing it for me these days and for those of you that know me well, that's really strange. I just don't get some of the music. What happened to people actually being able to sing and not just synthesized? It makes me wonder if some of these people really can sing at all. I guess that's why I like the singers that have come out of American Idol. You've actually heard them with no background music at all and know they actually have a voice. I don't always agree with the voting as it's more a popularity contest instead of voting on their talent. Case in point - Sanjaya, David Archuleta and Kellie Pickler.

But if this is the type of music our youth are attracted to it's no wonder I'm not getting it these days. Let's talk about stuff that's currently on the radio. Lady Gaga or should we say Lady Gag-a. Same sound over and over. Britney - although I like her beats, that newest song I can't even understand what she's saying because she's so synthesized these days. The only thing I can understand is "One, two, three...." How about that firefly song? I think someone was seriously on something when they wrote that. Also, why must the radio overplay absolutely EVERYTHING????? I think they just pick the most popular 5 songs and just play them on repeat all day.

So I'm looking for a way to find music I like. My friend Susan told me about this thing called Pandora where it essentially customized your own radio station for you based on music you like. I actually found an app for my new Blackberry Bold where I can get this on my phone. The sound is actually really good. I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes. It seems you can give a song a thumbs up or down and then it starts customizing your station. I'll let you know how it works out for me. Thanks for telling me about this Susan!!!

4 comments:

  1. craig loves pandora.
    and the britney song... (i 2 3)on my trip to kc with teenage jordann, she couldn't believe i hadn't heard the song so she called up the radio station to play it just for me...and they did!!!!
    so we blasted it...and you know that is tough for me, while driving, in the dark, and on hwy 50!!
    lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just vote that you are getting old!
    Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Odd I didn't see this before when I was reading the posts, I attribute this to the fact that while in Maine she was listening to real music and then when coming back to Dallas, realized how crappy the music actually was. Not getting old at all, just being introduced to the finer music in life, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and the Grateful Dead. :-)

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!