Friday, November 27, 2009

A Quiet Thanksgiving

Being newly married means having to deal with multiple families and trying to coordinate who goes where and when. This is proving very difficult considering both of our families live in different states then us (during the holiday season). This year the plan was to spend Thanksgiving in Maine with Sean's family. Once we started looking for tickets we found it was going to be far too expensive to go up for the entire week so we ended up going up Thursday before Thanksgiving and heading back to Texas the Monday before Thanksgiving.

Our time in Maine was short and busy. We flew in Thursday and didn't get in until midnight. Friday we had to work all day and then met up with Brian, Julie, Tim, Danielle and Ohara for dinner at Margaritas. Saturday we had a wedding - Rob and Amber finally got married!!!

Here's the happy couple cutting the cake. Their cake was really pretty.

Sunday we headed over to Grammie's for "Thanksgiving dinner". Since we were in Maine, of course we had.....

That was it....a lobster. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to that kind of Thanksgiving. I grew up having turkey, dressing, etc, etc and having everyone around for the holiday. Our Maine Thanksgiving was Grammie, Uncle, Sean and me. Monday we flew back to Texas.

Since we have been traveling so much for work lately and had so much to do at the house we opted out of also making the drive up to Kansas. I also missed having the traditional Thanksgiving dinner so Sean and I decided to make our own Thanksgiving dinner. We made:

Turkey
Dressing
Mac 'n Cheese
Green Bean Casserole
Broccoli Salad
Rolls

Sean made the turkey and I made the rest. Yes, you read that right, Sean made the turkey. He did all the work but it was a collaborative effort on how we did it. We had a 7 pound turkey which from what Sean read said we needed to cook it 1.5 to 2 hours. So since we were going to eat a late lunch we decided to start cooking the turkey at 1:00. So when 5:00 rolled around and the thermometer wouldn't go higher then 160 we decided to go ahead and take it out anyway. Sean cut into it and it looked fine - at least the breast meat did. It was the juiciest turkey I've ever had but we kept joking that it's because it wasn't done. We were so scared we were going to get sick. Good news - we didn't!!! Here's Sean sitting down to our dinner - in the formal dining room even!!!

For dessert I made a pecan pie. Funny thing was they didn't have what I needed for the crust at the grocery store. I meant to run to Target to get it but then forgot. So instead, I ended up making a crustless pecan pie. Once it baked we let it cool a little and then served it as a topping over ice cream. It was really good!
Even though it was not the Thanksgiving I'm used to I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have so much to be thankful for this year. I have an amazing husband (which I love more and more each day), amazing family (which has grown so much this past year by gaining Sean's family and Ashley and Maddy), amazing friends (which was very apparent at our wedding), two wonderful homes, a job I enjoy and last but certainly not least, DUKE! I am truly blessed!!!
I wish you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving!!!

2 comments:

  1. i always go with the butterball hotline...20 min per pound :) ...and i slather the little sucker in mayo (NOT MIRACLE WHIP!!) with a little turkey rub mixed in and slide it into a bag. always done & super juicy :) when are you going to be here for christmas?...oh and btw..reba's & the old mill had a huge fire that did 1 million in damages...i hope they are going to re open, it's the only decent place we have!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tonya you are too busy to blog we need new information about married life!!! we still have your wedding gift when you get back to newton ks.
    will give it to amy. love, linda w

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!