Wednesday, January 18, 2012

my garden

I don't remember if I blogged about this but we added a raised veggie garden in the Spring in Texas.  My friends planted some stuff in it for the Summer and took care of it while we were in Maine.  When we got back in the Fall we had to clean it out from the cantaloup that took over - but we never planted a cantaloup!  It was a left over seed that didn't quite compost completely I think.

After we got it all cleaned out and picked the last of the cabbage, green peppers, purple peppers and basil (which I froze for the most part) we planted a few things to try to grow during the Fall/Winter.  Mostly greens - different types of lettuces, broccoli, brussels sprouts, purple cabbage, chives and swiss chard.  So far it's mostly been a bust - one little broccoli and a few lettuce leaves.  I'm holding out hope that it will blossom in the Spring.  I'll have to keep at it and figure out how to grow a garden when you only have 6 months a year to do it.

So it looks so empty because I just planted one of each to see what was going to work.  I'm also seeing that for Winter, when the sun is lower on the horizon, half my garden doesn't get much sun.  :(  Maybe I just need a second one?!?!  :)

************************************
On a similar note, I tried brussels sprouts for the first time tonight - store bought, not my home grown ones.  They're actually not too bad - and are probably even better when they're not burnt.  I used this recipe (link to recipe) but only made enough for one person.

2 comments:

  1. HOLD UP! Swiss chard?! What!? Did you become a huge fan after Lucy & I visited? Did you ever cook that bundle we bought?

    I love brussel sprouts and cook them just like that (I like to put all the stuff in a bag instead of a bowl and shake it up, though). And I kinda like them burnt looking -- love the crispiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 'heart' brussel sprouts as well

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!