The city of Saint John was full of beautiful blooming buds and blossoms. Even the median was abounding with marigolds. I wish I had gotten a picture of it, as it really was spectacular.
The rock beaches, although difficult to walk on, were not difficult on the eye. All the beautiful colors of polished stones from the pounding of the ocean leading to an endless ocean and never-ending sky.
![]() |
| "where's duke" |
Finding a little piece of inventiveness in the woods offered some fun for Duke and me, and I suppose for Sean too watching us trip and huff-n-puff trying our hand at it. Rumor has it this rope ladder was a prototype for offering access to hikers on steep hills that was later used throughout the area.
My favorite part of the trip (aside from enjoying our 2nd anniversary bottle of wine and reading all the lovely comments from our friends and family while playing Smess - I must own this game!) was enjoying a peaceful picnic and playing in the ice cold river with my two favorite men!
![]() |
| originally thought he was laughing but I think he's screaming because it's SO cold |
But what Maine road trip would be complete without a little randomness on the side of the road?
We drove home Monday, Labor Day, down a nearly deserted road that is so dark at night Sean insisted we plan our trip around being on this road in the daylight. With a grumble in our tummies we looked and looked and looked and looked for a place to eat. When we finally found an "open" flag blowing in the breeze, we found ourselves driving too fast to pull in so we had to drive and drive and drive and drive before we could finally turn around. The sign on the door indicated they were closing early for the holiday - in 10 minutes. Feeling guilty for doing it, I walked inside and asked in my most polite, southern, voice if they would take two more. After asking Grandma the chef she agreed we could eat. It turned out to be the cutest, back in time feeling restaurant - and actually had some really good food!
![]() |
| "will you quit taking pictures..." |
I'm saving the most amazing thing we saw for last, but you'll have to wait until tomorrow for that...
I know - such a tease!















Gorgeous pictures, Tonya! Happy anniversary!!
ReplyDelete